Talsi and Talsi district - "Pearl of Kurzeme"!
Talsi - "Pearl of Kurzeme"- the town of nine hills, perches above two lakes. Talsi history is hidden in its calm cobbled streets, in its old wooden houses with red tiling, in its well - preserved parks, cherry and apple-tree gardens of long standing. In all seasons Talsi can be compared with a proud lady of Kurzeme - it is mysterious, reserved, diligent and variable. The hilly relief of the town has influenced the spreading of building in a peculiar way - the town resembles of puff pastry - where the roof of one building ends, there the basement of other one begins, and local staircases are the shortest route at Talsi. The ancient castle mould of Cours is the heart of Talsi, and standing on its top, the whole town panorama is seen. People like to come here for rest and climbing the mould is an event! Here come for a walk Talsi people, here come for a stroll guests, here dance and sing in different culture events. In summer Sauleskalns open-air scene becomes the center of local life, where different concerts and culture events. Talsi is the most to travelers, who can estimate both the calmness of workday rhythm of a rural town and the aura of culture and pastime on weekends. Talsi is the town where a traveler can sense the reciprocal harmony of history, nature and town.
Nowadays one of the places, where dreams come true is Keninkalns, which has attained new sound and significance. Already during the times of Latvia Freeland, Talsi ordered the sculpture "Kokletajs" ("Kokle player") to a sculptor Karlis Zemdega - as a dedication to the heroes, fallen in the struggles for freedom. In the forests of Dundagas place, a suitable granite stone was found and the finances were collected. Nevertheless, only in year 1995 a sculptor Vilnis Titans got down to the realization of this plan and in the 16th of the November, year 1996, the monument was brought to light.
Facts about Talsi and Talsi district
Place of location:
- located in western part of Latvia
- area of 2 751 km2, 4,1% from whole Latvia's territory
- region is surrounded with 96 km long Riga see buy and Baltic see coast
- the region is modeled by two geographically different zones: Kurzeme highland with its highest point in western Latvia - Kamparkalns - 174 meters above see level and littoral lowland
In Talsi region:
- 59% of the territory is covered by forests;
- 25% of territory is land used in agriculture;
- 3,6% is water (there are 72 lakes in region);
- 3,4% or 9400 ha of territory are marshes.
8% of all Talsi region are under special state protection:
- National park Slitere
- nature parks "Talsu Pauguraine", "Abava valley", Engure lake nature park
- culture historical territory "Livonian coast"
- see coast in width of 300m
- 7 nature subtleties
- 14 protected geologic and geomorphologic objects,
- 15 parks and 2 dendrology plantations
- 426 protected trees
- 5 cultural townscape centers
- 49 archeology
- 60 architecture monuments
There are 12 000 inhabitants in Talsi.
History of city of Talsi and Talsi district
Talsi - for the first time the name was mentioned in year 1231 in a treaty between the pontiff's legate Aina Balduins and the Couronian tribe's headmen. The historical center of the town is located between Talsi and Vilkmuiza lakes, including the streets of the Old Town - Udens and Kaleju, Dzirnavu, Kalna and part from Laidzes and Liela streets.
In the end of the 13th century the German knight order built an order's stone castle, feud country seats took positions around it. In the 15th century German craftsmen and merchants settled there. During the innings of Kurzeme duke Jekabs, in Dzelzciems, near Talsi an iron kiln, promoting economic life, was established. In the course of history Talsi has suffered in wars, inhabitants died out in the plague (1657., 1710.), burnt in the great fire in year 1733.
The 19th century begun with a new bustle. In 1863 the first private elementary school under the guidance of Fr.Feldrnanis, started its work. In 1873 a private district school, called a "leftschool", was established. The study was only in German language. In year 1887 a town school with Russian study language was established in Jauntalsi. The school existed till the 1st World war.
The town rights to Talsi were assigned by the temporary cabinet of Russia in year 1917, however the peace-time begun with the year 1920.
Talsi town coat of arms.
Latvia state president Jānis Čakste in year 1925 approved Talsi town coat of arms. There is no information about the author of the coat of arms.
Talsi town coat of arms is showing a young mans hand lifted upon the hills of the town in a greeting and holding a green wreath. That is symbolizing the hospitality of town inhabitants towards the guests.
In the 1996 the description of coat of arms was approved by Latvia state president Guntis Ulmanis: "In a golden field a green wreath is hold by a hand of natural color (from the left side), which grows out from a green hill."
Talsi district coat of arms.
In september 14, 2006 was officially renewed coat of arms of Talsi district by Latvia state president Vaira Vīķe Freiberga.
Talsi town council
Address: 7 Kareivju street, Talsi, LV-3201
Phone: +371 63232110
Fax: +371 63232130
Talsi district council
Address: 7 Kareivju street, Talsi, LV-3201
Phone: +371 63222238
Fax: +371 63222235